August 30, 2016
Are you as anxious about the upcoming election and the polarization that has gripped our nation as we are?
Given the troubled political climate, we decided to take a hiatus from our series exploring each of the nine types to talk politics through the lens of the Enneagram.
Ian and Suzanne's guest this week is Michael Wear. An Enneagram 4, Michael directed faith outreach for President Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign. One of the youngest White House staffers in modern American history, he is an author and leading political strategist who examines the intersection of faith, politics and American public life. As you'll hear, "he's got game."
Questions on the show's docket this week include:
- What can we learn about politics when we look at them through the lens of the Enneagram?
- How can Americans on opposite ends of the political spectrum regain compassion for one another?
- Why is it important for voters to understand themselves in the context of the political process?
- How can we recover civility in our political discourse?
- Who says politics should give us value and affirm us?
- What harm does a "politics of pure power" do to our nation?
Listen now as we recklessly plunge into a discussion on the two things you should never discuss at the dinner table, politics and spirituality. Bon Appetit!
August 23, 2016
Is setting boundaries in your life a problem? Are you more comfortable giving than receiving? Do you secure a place for everyone at the table but fail to save a seat for yourself?
Then there's a good chance you're an Enneagram 2 (The Helper)!
Join Ian and Suzanne on this week's episode of The Road Back To You as they interview Hunter Mobley, Executive Pastor at Christ Church Nashville and Adjunct Professor of Law at Belmont University. Hunter is a mature Enneagram 2 who talks openly about some of these complex questions:
- Why do I think about relationships 24/7?
- When is my giving to others altruistic and when is it manipulative?
- How can I learn to do that which is mine to do?
- Why do I spend so much time getting people to love me?
Their discussion will help you understand how to look inward with kindness and ask, "What needs the most attention in my life right now."
For any listener who struggles with the constant need to feel valued and loved, Hunter is a terrific example of one who shares your pain and utilizes the Enneagram as a tool to find the path to a life that is balanced and productive.
NEXT WEEK! Join us as we take a break going through the numbers of the Enneagram and feature a very special episode on Politics and Personality. Our guest is Michael Wear, one of the youngest White House staffers in modern American History, who directed faith outreach for President Obama's historic 2012 re-election campaign.
August 16, 2016
Have you ever felt like the wheels have fallen off the train of your life? How did you respond? Did you get angry, cower in a corner in the fetal position and suck your thumb, or did you get up and blaze a new trail?
On this week's episode of The Road Back To You, we welcome author, blogger, speaker, and Enneagram 6 (The Loyalist) Sarah Thebarge who when faced with a seemingly insurmountable crisis, pressed against her fear to embrace a new adventure.
Ian, Suzanne and Sarah discuss practical ways you can:
- Overcome your tendency to doubt yourself
- Understand and manage your anxiety
- Begin the journey of finding your voice
- Find courage and faith when it doesn't come naturally to you
Sarah is a remarkable person with an inspiring story you won't want to miss. So let’s hear it for all those folks who overcome fear and courageously step into their future, particularly if they’re Enneagram 6’s!
P.S. Don't forget to listen to The Liturgist podcast on August 23 when Michale Gungor and Science Mike explore the Enneagram with Ian and Suzanne. Also, spend a day with Ian and Suzanne learning more about the Enneagram click here for more information!
August 9, 2016
Has anyone ever described you as an "information junkie" or as a loner? Do you believe "thoughts" are more reliable than "feelings?" Are you more comfortable observing rather than participating in life?
If so, you might be an Enneagram 5 (The Investigator)!
This week celebrated singer-songwriter, author, a member of the musical collective Gungor, and co-host of The Liturgists Podcast Michael Gungor takes Ian and Suzanne on a rare private tour through the labyrinth-like mind of an Enneagram 5 (The Investigator).
Listen as Michael explains:
- How Enneagram 5’s can't survive without setting aside time to be alone and refill.
- How 5's are often quite cynical, though they may not always express it.
- How 5's are so invested in their thoughts that they feel hurt when people disagree with them.
- How 5's don’t enjoy being the center of attention (no small challenge for a performer!)
- The joys of being the most observant number on the Enneagram.
If you think and see the world differently than others and sometimes worry you don’t have the inner resources to meet the demands of work and relationship (or know someone who does!), then this episode is for you! Even if you're not a 5 you'll enjoy listening to Michael describe how learning the Enneagram has helped him find his place in the world.
July 27, 2016
Do you insist on spontaneity? Are you an eternal optimist? Are you alway thinking and planning your next great adventure? If so, you might be an Enneagram 7 (a.k.a. The Enthusiast).
Today Ian and Suzanne interview Shauna Niequist, bestselling author, speaker, blogger, mother, wife, and a poster child for 7's on the Enneagram! Join them as they discuss:
- How not to wear out those around you with your excessiveness and effusive spirit
- How to slow down and focus enough to communicate at the level of the heart.
- How to turn exuberance into a tool for encouragement
- How to give yourself permission not to be a "desert monk."
How to grow up and stop taking pride in saying, "I was taken home in a shopping cart last night!"
Discover how the Enneagram helped Shauna's marriage, her relationship with her children, and how when her 7 personality is healthy it turns into a desire to provide a safe, warm, hospitable, and happy place for everyone in her life.
July 25, 2016
In Episode 5 Ian and Suzanne interview Mike McHargue, host of the popular podcast Ask Science Mike and co-host of the podcast The Liturgists. Tune in as Science Mike dissects and explains his life as an Enneagram 9 (The Peacemaker). Before its over, you'll learn how the Enneagram can help you:
- Assert and express yourself with confidence.
- Be who you are rather than "merge" with the crowd.
- Identify and overcome your blind spots.
- See life through the eyes of others
- Learn how healthy conflict produces intimacy
Join Ian and Suzanne as they marvel at Science Mike's firsthand observations on why the Enneagram is such a valuable tool for developing self-knowledge and understanding relationships. It's always an adventure but today it's well scientific!
July 19, 2016
In Episode Four, Ian and Suzanne welcome pastor and bestselling author Nadia Bolz-Weber back to the show. Join this dangerous trio as they talk about:
- The Enneagram and recovery
- Dealing with "your stuff"
- The importance of practicing self-compassion
- How the Enneagram helps Nadia pastor her church
- Movies, songs, and hymn choices for different Enneagram numbers.
This episode is chock full of laughs and wisdom, so we hope you'll come along for the ride!
July 17, 2016
In The Road Back To You, Episode #3, Ian and Suzanne interview pastor and New York Times bestselling author Nadia Bolz-Weber. Nadia talks about life as an Enneagram 8 (The Challenger), and explores the weight of responsibility that comes with having a voice that carries weight. Nadia also discusses the importance of being emotionally present, and how being an Enneagram 8 impacts her life as a pastor. Yikes, it get's real. After you listen to this episode you'll want to check out Nadia's books: Pastrix and Accidental Saints and Nadia's website at here.
July 7, 2016
In this sophomore Enneagram episode of the podcast The Road Back To You, Ian Morgan Cron and SuzanneStabile continue their discussion with Luke Norsworthy, host of the popular podcast Newsworthy with Norsworthy. In this episode they continue to explore the history and oral tradition of the Enneagram,discuss the different categories of the Enneagram and look at the different arenas they have taught and used the Enneagram around the world,and explore how the Enneagram has impacted their lives, marriage and families.
July 3, 2016
Luke Norsworthy (https://lukenorsworthy.com), host of the popular podcast Newsworthy with Norsworthy guest host with Suzanne and Ian to discuss the history of the Enneagram, how they were first exposed to it, begin teaching it and ultimately wrote the book The Road Back To You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery.